As we celebrate Thanksgiving with our family and friends this year, reflecting on the gifts and blessings that have been given so generously to us from Our Lord, we keep in prayer all those who may find it difficult to celebrate this year. And for all those that are looking for a reason to smile today, turn to our beloved brothers and sisters in Christ who have gone before us.
Here are 13 quotes on gratitude and thanksgiving to uplift and inspire us all:
1. “This union of my soul with God is my wealth in poverty and joy in my deepest affliction.”
— St. Elizabeth Ann Seton
2. “Remember the past with gratitude. Live the present with enthusiasm. Look forward to the future with confidence.”
— St. John Paul II
3. “Get used to lifting your heart to God, in acts of thanksgiving, many times a day. Because he gives you this and that; because you have been despised; because you haven’t what you need or because you have. Thank him for everything, because everything is good.”
— St. Josemaria Escriva
4. “In all created things discern the providence and wisdom of God, and in all things give Him thanks.” — St. Teresa of Avila
5. “O God, grant that whatever good things I have, I may share generously with those who have not, and whatever good things I do not have, I may request humbly from those who do.”
— St. Thomas Aquinas
6. “Prayer is an aspiration of the heart. It is a simple glance directed to heaven. It is a cry of gratitude and love in the midst of trial as well as joy.” — St. Thérèse of Lisieux
7. A single ‘Blessed be God’ in adversity is worth more than a thousand acts of thanksgiving in prosperity.
— St. John of Ávila