Pope Francis has sent his condolences after a violent attack on a group of Catholic religious sisters and others in South Sudan left five dead on Monday.
“His Holiness Pope Francis was deeply saddened to learn of the brutal attack on a group of Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus,” the Aug. 17 message said.
A road ambush along a highway in South Sudan Aug. 16 resulted in the deaths of five people, including Catholic nuns, Sr. Mary Daniel Abud and Sr. Regina Roba.
The two were among a group of seven Catholic sisters traveling in a bus to Juba, the capital of South Sudan, from Assumption of Our Lady Parish in the city of Nimule, about 120 miles to the south.
The sisters had been in Nimule to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the parish on Aug. 15, Sr. Christine John Amaa told CNA’s partner agency, ACI Africa.
In an Aug. 16 email, Amaa said Assumption of Our Lady Parish was also where the slain sisters’ religious order, the Congregation of Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, was founded.
Pope Francis’ message said he “offers heartfelt condolences” to the families and religious community of the sisters who died from “this senseless act of violence.”
Read more at Catholic News Agency