+ How Corrupt Bishops Betrayed the Church (full hour)
- Description: The stunning news of summer 2018, and the unprecedented angry reaction from loyal Catholics, have made it impossible to ignore a crisis in the Church: a crisis that has been building steadily since Vatican II. This crisis involves not only a scandal of sexual abuse, nor even a failure of episcopal leadership— although both have been sadly evident. These issues point to a deeper problem: a failure to resolve the fundamental divisions within Catholicism, which now must be addressed. We break it down with Phil Lawler.
- Segment Guests:
Philip Lawler is editor of Catholic World News and author of the new book The Smoke of Satan: How Corrupt and Cowardly Bishops Betrayed Christ, His Church, and the Faithful… and What Can Be Done About It as well as Lost Shepherd: How Pope Francis is Misleading his Flock.
- Phil Lawler
+ Resources Mentioned Available in Our Store:
The sex-abuse scandal, which has erupted anew in 2018, poses the greatest challenge that the Catholic Church has faced since the Reformation. In The Smoke of Satan, veteran Catholic journalist Philip Lawler explains why the crisis is even more severe than when it first commanded headlines in 2002, and how the failure of Church leaders goes all the way to the Vatican. In this unflinching look at the crisis threatening the Church and her members, Lawler:
- Shows how the sex-abuse scandal is not a question of pedophilia, but of homosexual activity within the clergy.
- Explains how Catholic bishops havedeveloped a habit of covering up serious problems, to avoid the serious divisions that have developed within the faith since Vatican II.
- Demonstrates a catastrophic rupture in Church unity, causing a breakdown in morale and discipline among priests, bishops, and laity, paving the way for the current crisis.
- Reveals the growth of a faction within the Vatican that is ready to make peace with secularism.
- Details the charges in the explosive “Vigano testimony,”— and the efforts by Vatican officials including Pope Francis himself to ward off a thorough investigation.
- Concludes with a program for reform, led by faithful lay Catholics, demanding a new policy of candor and a forthright proclamation of Church teaching.
Faithful Catholics are beginning to realize it’s not their imagination. Pope Francis has led them on a journey from joy to unease to alarm and even a sense of betrayal. They can no longer pretend that he represents merely a change of emphasis in papal teaching. Assessing the confusion sown by this pontificate, Lost Shepherd explains what’s at stake, what’s not at stake, and how loyal believers should respond. (learn more)
Comments are closed.