Lagos (AFP) – The Nigerian army on Wednesday said it had freed more than 330 people, mostly women and children, from Boko Haram’s Sambisa forest stronghold in the volatile northeast.
“The (army) unit … rescued 338 persons that were held captive by the terrorists,” the army said of the Tuesday operation, adding that 192 of the survivors were children and 138 women.
It was not clear if any of the around 200 schoolgirls seized by the Islamists last year in northeastern Chibok were among those rescued.
The raid targeted “suspected Boko Haram terrorist camps at Bulajilin and Manawashe villages” on the edge of the Sambisa forest, the army said.
It said troops also killed 30 suspected jihadists and seized a cache of arms and ammunition in the area.
Pictures released by the army following the operation showed mostly women with some of them carrying babies.
The freed hostages have been moved to a camp for displaced persons in Mubi in nearby Adamawa state, the army said.
Read More At: yahoonews