Skip links

Mass shooting at Inland Regional Center: What we know


(CNN) The shooting at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino is the deadliest mass shooting in the United States since the shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, in December 2012, where 26 people, mostly children, died.

With the investigation still unfolding, much is unclear about the attack at the center for people with developmental disabilities.

We know there were two shooters: A U.S. citizen named Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, who was an inspector with the county health department that was hosting the holiday party, and his wife, 27-year-old Tashfeen Malik.

But we don’t know their motives. We also don’t know the identities of the victims, nor do we have a full accounting of how many were injured.

For now, here is what we know and don’t know about the attack and its aftermath:


The attack: The attack took place around 11 a.m. during a holiday party at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, California. It’s a facility for people with developmental disabilities.

Farook abruptly left the center before the shooting “under circumstances described as angry,” said San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan.

Soon after, Farook came back. He and Malik went into the building and began firing, police said. At least 14 people were killed and at least 17 were injured, police said.

The couple then escaped in a dark-colored SUV.

The police response: Authorities — acting on a lead about where Farook lived — went to a home in Redlands, about 10 miles from San Bernardino, to serve a search warrant.

While they were there, a black SUV with Utah plates passed by slowly, then sped up and raced off, a law enforcement official close to the investigation said.

A police cruiser pursued it.

The shootout: A shootout ensued, with Farook firing at officers from the vehicle while Malik drove, officials said.

The pursuit ended back in San Bernardino, about 2 miles from Inland Regional.

Farook and Malik were killed in a shootout with police that involved 21 officers, Burguan said.

The raid: Law enforcement personnel moved in on the home in Redlands. They used a robot to sweep for explosives. They asked “immediately adjacent” neighbors to evacuate until they were sure the place was safe.

Read more at…

Share with Friends:

Leave a comment