Skip links

Kenyan Christians Feel Betrayed After Court Rules to Release Persecution Attack Suspects

DNCOASTMPEKETONI2801E

Kenyan Christians are demanding justice after a Mombasa court acquitted two suspects who had been charged in the 2014 Mpeketoni massacre that killed 60 people in eastern Kenya, and two men linked to the murder of twelve Christians in Hindi, Kenya, just weeks later.

Dyna Salim Suleiman and Mahadi Swaleh Mahadi are free after High Court Judge Martin Muya found insufficient evidence to convict the two men accused of perpetrating the mass killings. Meanwhile, Shebe Auni and Joseph Shege are now free after being exonerated from connection to the murders in Malamande village outside Hindi.

“The acquittal was never expected by the local people and the two men should be jailed,” one local pastor in Mpeketoni told International Christian Concern (ICC).

The Office of Keriako Tobiko, the Director of Public Prosecution has filed an appeal of the decision.

“The DPP said he intends to appeal against the whole judgment and to have the acquittal substituted with conviction of murder that can lead to a death sentence. In his notice of appeal filed [March 23], the DPP requested for the proceedings of the case within 14 days so that he may challenge the acquittal,” the office posted to Twitter.

The attacks occurred on June 15 through 17 in Mpeketoni before a second attack ravaged Hindi, Kenya weeks later. The assaults targeted police stations, churches, populated villages, and market centers.

Read more at Persecution.org…

Share with Friends:

Leave a comment