The Nigerian schoolgirls who had been, last Friday, abducted from the Government Girls’ Secondary School (GGSS) Jangebe in Zamfara State within Nigeria’s Ecclesiastical Province of Kaduna, have been released.
The February 26 night abduction saw hundreds of schoolgirls taken away after gunmen stormed the school and started shooting.
“Alhamdulillah! It gladdens my heart to announce the release of the abducted students of GGSS Jangebe from captivity,” Zamfara State Governor, Bello Matawalle, has announced in a Tuesday, March 1 Tweet.
Governor Matawalle added that the securing the girls’ release involving “the scaling of several hurdles laid against our efforts.”
“I enjoin all well-meaning Nigerians to rejoice with us as our daughters are now safe,” the Governor added.
According to a BBC News report, a total of 279 GGSS Jangebe students were released after negotiations between the government and the kidnappers.
Initially, the number of abductees was recorded as 317, a figure that Zamfara State officials said was inaccurate.
On February 28, Pope Francis condemned the kidnapping, describing it as “vile abduction” and expressed his solidarity with the girls and their respective families.
“Dear brothers and sisters! I join my voice with that of the Bishops of Nigeria to condemn the vile abduction of 317 girls, taken away from their school,” Pope Francis said after praying the Angelus.
Read more at ACI Africa