Two explosions, at least one caused by a suicide attack, in the departure hall at Brussels Airport killed around 10 people just before 8 a.m. local time on Tuesday, or 3 a.m. E.D.T.
About an hour later, an explosion at the Maelbeek subway station in central Brussels, not far from the European Union’s core institutions, killed about 20 people.
More than 230 others were wounded.
Was it ISIS?
Eight hours after the explosions, a news agency affiliated with the Islamic State issued a bulletin claiming responsibility, calling Belgium “a country participating in the coalition against the Islamic State.”
Officials noted the timing of the attacks on Tuesday, just days after the arrest of the main surviving suspect in the assaults in and around Paris last year that killed 130 people.
“We were fearing terrorist attacks, and that has now happened,” said the prime minister of Belgium, Charles Michel.
The suspect arrested on Friday, Salah Abdeslam, is believed to be the sole survivor of the 10 men who were directly involved in the Paris attacks on Nov. 13.
Where is the investigation heading?
Police officials in Belgium released a photo of three men seen at the airportwho they said are suspects and sought the public’s help in identifying one of them. The two others were “probably” suicide bombers, the police said.
Several police raids were in progress at locations across the country.
Read more at NYTimes.com…