The militant group Boko Haram is believed to be behind a recent attack on a Nigerian village that left at least 81 people dead on Tuesday, June 9.
A survivor of the attack on the village of Faduma Kolomdi, located in the northeastern Nigerian state of Borno, according to local news outlets, said that militants requested that the village residents turn over their weapons, and offered to preach a sermon to them before the attack.
“They gathered us and said they wanted to deliver a religious sermon to us. They asked us to submit whatever arms we had. Some villagers gave up their dane guns, bow and arrows,” said the survivor, who was speaking to a government official about the attack.
“Suddenly, they started shooting at will. Even children and women were not spared, many were shot at close range,” said the survivor.
In addition to those killed, an additional 13 were injured and seven more, including the leader of the village, were abducted, along with several hundred cattle. The attack lasted approximately six hours, from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. The attackers fled after the Nigerian Air Force fired shots at them from a fighter jet.
The governor of Borno state, Babagana Zulum, called for the country’s military to step up its efforts against extremists groups. Zulum visited Faduma Kolomdi on Wednesday and met with survivors of the attack.
Zulum cited the repeated attacks by the Isalmist group Boko Haram and its splinter organizations and demanded the military take more aggressive action.
“Last year, about the same number of people were killed in Gajiram like it happened again” said Zulum.
Read more at Catholic News Agency