Skip links

10 children among dead in France truck attack; 202 people wounded

nice-238028_960_720

A Tunisian-born émigré with a record of petty crime was behind the wheel of a truck that barreled into Bastille Day revelers and claimed at least 84 lives over a mile-long path of horror, a French prosecutor said Friday, as investigators explored possible links to Islamist militant networks.

The driver was identified as 31-year-old Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, whose identity documents, cellphone and bank card were found inside the 19-ton truck used in Thursday’s carnage along a palm-lined French Riviera corniche in Nice, according to Paris Prosecutor François Molins. He said 10 children were among the dead and that 202 people were injured, more than 50 of them critically. Twenty-five, he said, remained comatose.

The attack — the third major one on French soil in the last 18 months — left the nation reeling and sparked questions about the authorities’ security plans. Many witnesses in Nice questioned how an attacker had been able to bypass a security cordon in a major French city’s Bastille Day celebrations, then mow down hundreds of people on a closed-off thoroughfare over more than a mile.​

In a marker of the discontent, French President François Hollande and Prime Minister Manuel Valls were booed Friday when they visited the attack site on the seaside promenade. Onlookers said they should have done more to ensure their security.

Read more at WashingtonPost.com…

Share with Friends:

Leave a comment